Well-Balanced (Wise Elders Living Longer)
WELL-Balanced is a group program designed specifically for Native American elders. The program uses exercise, information, and social interaction to help elders remain active and independent in their own homes as long as possible. It is designed to help elders:
- Prevent falls
- Manage diabetes, arthritis, and hypertension
- Engage in social activity
- Increase their level of exercise
- Develop strategies for independent living
- And most important, have fun
WELL-Balanced was developed by the NRCNAA in conjunction with the University of North Dakota Wellness Center. Focus areas were derived from Identifying our Needs: A Survey of Elders. The educational materials are based on experimental evidence for fall prevention and cognitive behavioral approaches to motivation and adherence to exercise programs. The 16 session (8 week) course includes a home safety check, fall risk screening, and a home program to use after the course is completed.
WELL-Balanced is available, free of charge, to any organization serving the Native American elder community.
- View the Well-Balanced Manual to look over the written materials.
- Well-Balanced Exercise Booklets
If you have questions, or would like to get started with the program right away, please call the toll free number (800-896-7628) of email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.